Thursday, November 6, 2008

Now that the party is over...

Here's the things I need to work out in my soul right now.

1. I need to learn to forgive all the fuckers who made fun of me for two years because of my support for Obama, then had a magical conversion during the party on Tuesday night. True, they mocked people making phone calls and called the canvassers bad names and talked day and night about how Obama was just a shady inexperienced candidate, but anything was better than Republicans. But I need them to vote in another 4 years, so when they tell me how proud they are that there's a black president, I need to just walk away. My rancor from this is particularly coming from
****, who sent me an email in which he simultaneously mentioned how "fucking annoying" I was about Obama, but also how much fun he had partying with the brothers, and how proud he is of his country for electing a black man. What? Who the fuck do you think made this election happen, assholes? The people who worked really hard to convince your dumb asses to vote. You got to party on Tuesday because thousands and thousands of people have been working tirelessly for two years to get this done. So you should be down on your knees grateful, (not necessarily to me cause all I did was a couple phone calls, a lot of arguing with strangers, and a lot of snarky blogging), but at the very least you could refrain from insulting me, or them. And the sad part is, they just care about the fact that he's black, not about the fact that he's good, or about any of the issues he supports. And even in the same breath, they're commenting about how "we'll see if he actually does anything in office".

See, I need to let all that go. All I need to think about is that they voted, it's all that matters. And figure out some way to get them to keep voting that way when its not about a black man, or about Bush. As a first step of this, I need to take a deep breath and stop using names. (Oh but its hard to let go of anger, its hard...)

Something I don't need to let go of is...

2. It depresses me to no end that all the anti-gay legislation passed. As happy as I am about this election, I feel like all my gay friends just got labeled second class citizens. And I wish all those people who are so happy about a black president could think for just a moment about how there is a still very oppressed minority in this country, a whole group of people that we won't allow to get married, who many people in this country don't consider worthy of the basic human rights of everyone else. Hmm, we used to do that to this other group of people....who was that....remember?

2 comments:

  1. It's like we don't feel like we're really Americans unless there's somebody we're marginalizing.

    The fact that we voted for a black president, while simultaneously voting to annul gay families says that the first African-American president is not a victory for the ideology that we all need to respect each other.

    Why is this idea so hard? It should be this difficult for people to get it. As long as it's not hurting anybody, let other people do what they want. It's not that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically, minorities were instrumental in passing Prop 8.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27584685/

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?