Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Even though the election is over...I'm still in Texas...having a heart attack






So the theme of Texas is meat. We went to a wing place tonight that on the menu said "for vegetarians, we offer the option of animals who once ate vegetables." Then for lunch, one of the guys with me here had the absolutely brilliant idea to check out which places in Austin had been on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. So we ended up today at Rudy's, which is...



Those ghostly white spots are me hiding behind my co-workers, trying to not look like too much of a tourist. The guys who take your order at this place are awesome. First they announce to everyone you're a rookie, which reminds me of that Virgin Auction they used to do at the beginning of Rocky Horror. Then they give you samples of everything to taste, before you order.



Then they pack it up on paper (no plates here) and away we go. Those things in the styrofoam? Creamed corn made with condensed milk. Oh my god.





This building, which shall remain nameless, has these ornaments on the top that look like large sundials. It leads me to believe that it's designed to open up like a that paper wishing game you played in middle school, and something nefarious will emerge from the top...

Also, our hotel elevators remind me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.



I got very drunk tonight, on vodka, then some giant mug of lemonade which should have made me stop, only the college bar we went to had Cafe Patron. So I had a little of that too. We watched the Cavs game and the college students had a trivia game going on I totally owned, like lock and stock and barrel. Until we got to the movie quotes round. But ask me about Red Badge of Courage and the chemical formula for Hydrogen Peroxide? Even drunk, especially drunk, I will expose myself for the self-righteous teacher's pet I so am. Also, if you tell me you are a Heroes fan, or a Red Dwarf fan, or you mention the pigs scene in Snatch, I will be exceptionally enthusiastic.

However, now I'm back at the hotel and let's just say



This is one definition of loneliness.

Oh, and we went to the zoo...





No, that's actually just the prettiest airport in the world. How Austin and Houston are even in the same state, I'll never understand.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I lived in TX for several years before moving to Clevo 15 months ago. Your pictorial pretty much nails the state.

    While in Austin, if you need a cafe check out Spider House. If you eat burgers, you must go to Hut's (which is also kinda across the street from Waterloo Records, which is cool.) Guero's on the south side of town (near the Austin Motel) is also good Mexican - which doesn't exist here in Cleveland - and it is in a cool small neighborhood with interesting places to peek in, including a boots store.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?