Sunday, November 23, 2008

So going places alone is like learning to ride a bicycle, something else I'm not very good at. But as luck would have it, when I got to the show last night, I sat down next to training wheels, another cool person there by themselves. So I had someone to talk to, smoke with, and drink with.

The show was pretty good. The first band J Roddy Walston and The Business was great, my favorite out of the whole night. And really, how often does that happen with openers. They had this whole American rock-mustache-Jerry Lee Lewis thing going on.

William Whitmore ended up being okay. When he first got on and started playing, I thought "wow he's got a great voice and this is charming". It was string southern gothic feeling, songs about shacks and dads and railroads. But then ALL his songs sounded the same after a while, and I got tired of him about three songs before he ended. I bet I would like him better if I knew the songs beforehand. Cause you have to be in a mood for that kind of music, and after the first band I was not in the mood for charming so much.

Then Murder By Death, which was my concert partners favorite band. It's like if you put the Pogues, Decemberists, and Failure in a blender, then gave them a lead singer who looks like Abraham Lincoln and has a voice like Nick Cave. It was good, I liked it. But by the end of the set, I was falling asleep on my feet, having been up since 6am (stupid Saturdays). Their last two songs were awesome though.

So it was a good idea to go, and now I'm dragging my sloth butt out of the house for bowling watching, vodka drinking, and wing eating. Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. The girls have Guitar Hero World Tour--we need you to be a singer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget, I will totally go to a show with you some time. I'm becoming a pro at solo-showgoing. If you are free, I'm thinking about going to the Hot Rails/Dreadful Yawns show on Wednesday. Let me know!

    PS - I've never thought of the Blood Sweat & Tears tune that way, but very insightful. I do dig the way those dudes look, though. That was the era I should've come of age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug: yes, I know. Guitar Hero. We will have to find a night that is not a Top Chef night or a "get to wake up late tomorrow"night to get over there. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?