Monday, February 15, 2010

Childrens Books That You Have to have read to get me even a little

Alice in Wonderland
Through the Looking Glass
Black Beauty
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
The Last Unicorn
The Phantom TollBooth
The Wind in the Willows
Little House on the Prairie
His Dark Materials
The Black Cauldron
The Secret Garden
The Pushcart Wars
The BFG (oh, and I'm sorry, EVERYTHING ELSE BY ROALD DAHL)
The Little Princess
Just So Stories
The Prince and the Pauper
The Little Prince
Watership Down
The Blue Moose
Super Fudge
Tuck Everlasting
The Once and Future King
The Wrinkle in Time Series
Lord of the Flies (YES, this IS a children's book. Children get it more than you do)
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Redwall series
Call of the Wild
The Cricket in Times Square
The Chronicles of Narnia
Boxcar Children

Note: this is a recipe to have your kid turn out like me, so maybe...in retrospect...

5 comments:

  1. What about some more obscure books? Like "The Witches and the Grinnygog" or "Witch's Sister"? What is your official position on "The Lonely Doll"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know those. I was a populist kid.

    But the Lonely Doll smacks of Velveteen Rabbit, which officially ruined stuffed toys for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite picture book at age 5 was called MINNIE THE MUMP. It was about every disgusting childhood disease you can imagine, grotesquely anthropomorphized. I think it was actually something that they handed out at Kaiser Permanente. I guess you could say MINNIE THE MUMP ruined any hopes of my growing up not weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that book.
    I think because we went to Kaiser too.
    I used to love anatomy books, like there was this one where two kids got shrunk really small and went through all the body systems. It was great.
    I used to play with my mother's Color In anatomy book all the time too. Isn't it funny that all these great science things led to me doing absolutely nothing in science?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surprisingly, I have a long way to go to get you even a little, based on the reading list.

    The real Pinocchio by Collodi, not just the Golden Books Disney version? (Hangs head in shame, even though she has 2 copies of it, hasn't read it.)

    This would make a great meme, like that BBC's greatest books list.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?