Friday, February 19, 2010

Yay! Questions! (More to come, don't get your panties in a bunch)

why didn't you read/enjoy the oz books as a child? how has that shaped your adulthood? (--cath)

First of all, I totally read the Oz books when I was a kid, CATH. I read them all. Even when it become all about the gnomes and got kinda freaky and weird and was obviously not a really tight economic allegory anymore, which 9 yr old me was pretty disappointed in. Although, I maintain that 20 years from now, you'll be able to go back and find examples of all the real world revolutions in those books. Because Baum was prophetic. Also he was the real Princess Ozma. Right Tip?

Sidenote: when I googled the titles of the first 14 books, it also came up "His Majesty: The Scarecrow of Oz" which came out in 1914. Let's talk about how NOT SEEING THAT YET has shaped my adulthood. As in, I will not think about anything else for at least a week.

Can I have that chick's phone number? The one who asked you to do her taxes?

You have not given me the best question. You are not even trying apparently. You think I'll respond best to directness, or some bullshit like that. But hey, nice to meet you, my name's Bridget, and I need to be MANIPULATED.

Did you write the same awesomeness you write now into books in high school? I always wondered what you wrote (besides that awesome poetry on the wall). I'm serious when I say awesome. I laugh AND love out loud when I read your stuff.

I assume from the tone of this question that we went to high school together, in which case I'm going to ask you to remember that pentacle I wore around my neck and then you tell me if you think I wrote "awesome" stuff.

I did bother to try and find some old Scriptas (the "literary" magazine). I found the one from our Junior Year, which HELLO did every fucking Junior get a poem in that year? Cath, you've got like 5. And there's a few from Fiordalis and Chu and Moon and Hermann. And let me take this opportunity to say, when I was actually in prep school with you guys, I've never got the last name thing. Now I totally get it and wish I was part of it. Anyway, I couldn't find the Scripta with my awesome "Higher Education is like the Odyssey" poem. Instead I found one I wrote called "III New Age-Celtic Joni Mitchell" which I obviously wrote while fucking high and while madly in love with Chris Berkey. I am not giving you the whole thing, but here's a few lines to quench your curiosity...

"When clouds travel in on Atlantic winds
And congregations of bats hover above
menacing pine trees, then there is an hour of silence.
No words are allowed to break the air
And everything is melted like candle wax"

If I could, I would go back and beat the crap out of high school me. Fucking what the fuck is that? You know what else was melted like candle wax? Everything in my goddamn bedroom.

Let's never talk about this again.

Dial Idol -- what's that all about?!

It's about getting Siobhan Magnus to the finals, asshole.




Ask me anything

2 comments:

  1. I wrote like that in high school too. All of my "poems" were heavily influenced by those DIY Wicca guides from Llewellyn Press. I bought my pentacle at Contempo Casuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally had one of those Llewellyn guides. It was like "candle magic" or some shit like that. No wait, I think it was CELTIC magic.

    I'm constantly surprised when I think back to those days that my parents didn't just put me down. After all, they still had two working models.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?