Sunday, February 21, 2010

The NSA Always Goes Dutch

You undoubtedly heard about the plane that flew into the Austin IRS office. As I followed the news online, govt officials were saying things like, "It doesn't look like terrorism." Why do we discount homegrown terrorism?

Because the definition of terrorism is so fucked these days, old people, like cops and journalists are having trouble catching up. It's like when you hear your mom say "sweet" or "gnarly" or "teabag".

I think, in all seriousness, that in order to forestall the inevitable semantic shit storm that is going to take place anytime anybody blows something up, we should just all agree that something is labeled an act of terrorism when it is perceived as part of a greater campaign. This old guy, he wasn't the first strike in some ongoing plan, or even part of a group with a higher philosophy. He was just a broke down crazy man who decided to go nuts one day. Even if he was sending a personal message to the IRS, it was his and his alone.

Terror is a thing people experience. Terrorism was, at least when I was learning how to spell it, an ongoing attempt by a group of people looking to propagate their own agenda through fear and violence. Everything that is "terrible" is not terrorism. For instance, serial killers are not considered terrorists. Pedophiles are not considered terrorists. A guy who shoots another guy in the middle of a public street over a bar brawl is not a terrorist.

As to actual homegrown terrorism, I don't think too many rational people discount them. It sounds like you're just pissed that people don't blame their own country for producing the nasty people, and instead blame foreign groups. Good luck with that battle.

if you were to write an anonymous but deadly serious ad for an nsa relationship, what would it be?

So I first read this, after having answered the first question, and I was like "Why would the National Security Agency ever hire me to write an ad? And I don't understand the word relationship. Are we talking about a recruiting ad?"

Turns out you meant No Strings Attached, something I had to google, because I don't spend my days trolling Craigslist.

Also, now it sounds like you want me to write an ad as a serial killer trolling on Craigslist.

In case you haven't noticed, I am a girl. This means I don't have to write ads to get laid. I can just go get really drunk. And I'm really confused by the idea of a No Strings Attached Relationship. How can that even exist? If you see the person more than once? You're kinda in a relationship of some sort, healthy, anonymous, or not. Even a dude and his favorite glory hole have feelings man. So I assume this is referring to a one night stand. Once again, why would I write an ad for a one night stand?

Okay, but if I did, here's maybe what it would say:...

No wait, let me try that again:...

Shit, I don't think I'm capable of being deadly serious about anything.

Um okay, maybe:

Do not respond to this ad if you are a Republican. Do not respond to this ad if you are a virgin, or poor, or have an STD. Do not respond to this ad if you are planning on raping and beating me. Do not respond to this ad if you are cheating on a significant other. Do not respond to this ad if you think condoms are stupid. Otherwise, wanna buy me a drink? You are totally paying for everything by the way.

I don't know, how is that?

Ask me anything

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who wants to fuck the Editors?