Monday, February 1, 2010

We Are All Bullies

I appreciate animals that are selfish. Probably it makes me relate to them more as humans, and therefore as children. The dog that steals the other dogs' ball and then stalk around the yard with the ball in its mouth, daring anyone to come fight her for it? That's the dog who knows whats what.

I was faced with the eternal Sunday question of 30 yr olds everywhere yesterday. Where to go eat brunch, and also get a shitload of espresso in my weakened veins? I'm sick of brunch options in this town. Yes, I know, Taphouse, Flying Fig, Touch, Beachland, Luckys, omelets and chorizo and tater tots and skirt steak, mimosas and weak bloody marys and imported beers. I want to go back to that bar in Milwaukee with the corned beef sandwiches and Mary's with pickles and jerky, and off duty cops watching football. I want a place with hot chocolate, coffee, and croissants from that morning the size of my forearm. I want a hotel room with leftover vodka and two cigarettes left.

Saturday night and Sunday morning I played the "know someone in every place you go" game. I did my valiant best to not remember their names and blush and apologize for not remembering I was facebook friends with them, and keep the conversations short but well spoken. Ate at the Market Cafe finally, after scoping out the Sunday crowds. Took the animal to the Dog Park of Gravel, where everyone stood around in their scarfs while behind us the chemical plant belched and blanched. Then we watched the beginning of True Blood. Best opening theme song ever. Otherwise pretty much about Anna Paquin's lips. Drank my servings of vegetables in V8 Splash mixed with a dose of Russian restorative, then got sucked in District 9 and forced back to sober appreciative reality. Some movies are actually too good to be drunk for, it turns out. Woke up this morning, and the Boy and I had dreamed the same thing, the movie, all over again. Aliens that stick to your ribs, really. One eye blue, the other large and yellow. Eggs exploding. Terribleness and best emotional CGI ever, like isn't there an award for most meaningful alien encounter?

Between Alien refugee camps, Dollhouse, Caprica, Dune, and Lost tomorrow night, I'm living in a sci-fi daze. Beyonce's weird performance on the Grammy's last night did little to relieve that. Riot police and an Alanis cover? Too soon, B, too soon. Vowed to someday wear little gold booties though.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I loved District 9. I also found that it stuck with me for a long while after I saw it. Couldn't say the same about The Hurt Locker, I forgot about that fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that from a lot of people. Of course, I have yet to see Jarhead, so I have my priorities straight.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?