Friday, January 22, 2010

A Slice of Humanity's Eating Disorder

This morning, driving back from a friends house, I stopped at Dunkin Donuts for coffee. In front of me in the drive thru line was this white crossover car. Like, an older one. It had a bumper sticker that said "I love Greyhounds" with this extremely old illustration of a greyhound head. It looked like an illustration out of Nancy Drew.

This car was sitting there ordering for like five minutes. I was rediscovering The Beta Band, so I didn't mind. I hate when people get impatient in the drive thru line. You're fat, I'm fat, just slow the fuck down asshole. But then we drove up to the window and the only thing this person got was a very large sundae. Like, a huge sundae.

I am all about ice cream, but it was 9am on a Friday morning. So ice cream really means that someone in the car was very upset. Sad but true, I would bet money on it. I couldn't see who was in the car, so I don't know if there was a passenger in there. Maybe some girl who just got dumped. Or found out he was cheating. Or just had a really bad hospital stay and was just getting out. Or preparing to go in. It could have been some kids birthday. Maybe the kid's grandmother just died. It could have been a guy too. I suspect there are lots of guys out there who emotionally eat and they probably always do it alone too.

But what I'm most afraid of is that her dog died.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it was someone who works the night shift somewhere, and so 9:00am was really more like an after-dinner treat for them. Which is a much less sad explanation that involves no dead pets or heartbreak at all, and will maybe make you feel a little bit better about the situation. Did it work?

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?