Thursday, January 7, 2010

My thoughts on Julie and Julia


Now that Julie and Julia is out on DVD, lately I've been seeing a lot of posts by food bloggers about giving in and finally seeing this puff. This is exactly the kind of movie that we all sorta secretly wanted to see a little, but not nearly enough to pay a ticket for. So it makes sense that it will be haunting cold snowed in Saturday nights for months to come. After all, Amy Adams is the cutest little dickens ever. And we all like multitudes of cast iron pans and French full skirt dresses with pockets.

I'm not likely to say much about the movie you haven't already read. The whole Julie storyline sucked, and I wish the movie had just been about Julia Childs and her husband, and nothing more.

But here are what I consider some fairly unique takeaways, worth mentioning:

Aspic shots. Yes. Jello shots made with meat jelly. We need to make these. Buddy is insisting we have to make aspic, and I'm insisting it involve copious amounts of alcohol, and this seems like the best solution for all parties. We're thinking Beefeaters, for character development.

This is the last movie I will allow to have a scene where one character shows another how to use the internet. It is time to make some fairly reasonable assumptions. You know how hard it is to make a blog? About as hard as wiping your ass. Wait, stay here for thirty seconds. Okay, I'm back and I just made a blog. About your mom being a communist whore. It will be more popular in 3 hours than Salon.com. What kind of 30 yr old needs her husband to set up a blog for her?

The idea of not being able to look up stuff on Google scares the holey moses living crap out of me. Mail? You're going to collaborate on a book by writing letters? On paper? And mailing them? WTF.

I will never be able to kill a lobster. Not only do I think I would be too much of a pussy, I also think I would develop an immediate fear that it's fellow lobsters were going to come after me, like I know spiders do. In my sleep.

I hate when girls commiserate over being bitches. "I'm a bitch." "Yes, I know, we're both bitches." Well why don't you just stop being bitchy then? It's not really a virtue. It is in fact a known character flaw. It's not endearing when you're fifteen, thirty, or fifty.

Apparently my life goal now should be to get an article in the New York Times, because it will make me an instant success at something. I'm not entirely sure what, but that's the movie lesson and I'm sticking to it.

Also, it is, according to Julie, immensely deridable to write a blog only about yourself, with no other higher purpose or goal. So I will never get that NYT article, because I have already cast myself as a failure. My new life plan? To write a blog all about myself, but with a theme. And the theme cannot be having sex in airplanes. Which is a shame.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, so now that you demonstrated how easy it is to make a blog, would you please take that thing down about my mom being a commie whore? She's not even a commie anymore! But she does still work the docks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. And I actually liked the movie. I did like the Julia part more and Meryl was awesome. Simply divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to borrow the term from CCB "Meryl was divine" and the parts with her and Stanley Tucci look more convincing than a lot of young blood on-screen romance... am jus sayin!

    not killing lobsters, is a GOOD decision, trust me, i know... spiders in sleep is kindergarten in comparison!

    psssst... how did you even know about my mom? i mean, its like a family secret and hv jus finished a book which is gonna be a movie anytime... and yep, you guessed it! Meryl and Stanely!! folks, we have a winner here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the whole commiserating over being bitches thing, too. I cringe when women refer to their own friends as their bitches. I know it's supposed to be a defiant mark of female solidarity, but I guess that's a need I don't feel like I have to fill. I'd much rather pay you the respect of calling you my friend.

    The lesson I took from Julie and Julia is that yes, it totally matters if Julia Child hates you. Prove yourself worthy of your icons.

    Also, I would love it if they'd cut out the Julie parts and issue a special edition with just Meryl Streep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So we're all in agreement - Meryl should start a fake cooking show as Julia Childs and Stanley Tucci should marry me and take me around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Basically I would like to hang out with Meryl Streep.

    I do not ever want to have any type of run-in with aspic.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?