Saturday, January 31, 2009

Oranges are love, but the color orange is not...



I have a few thoughts about the Super Bowl tomorrow. First of all, every time I hear the team names, this is what I think of:



VERSUS



I think it's obvious the Steelhead would win. I mean, what's the bird gonna do, throw suet at it? Lure it out of Rocky River with corn?

Also, I have a real problem with the fact that Arizona got the Cardinals, when it's Ohio's motherf--king state bird. but instead we get a color. And not a very pretty color. In fact, there aren't many worse color combinations that bright orange and brown.

I've gotten some flack in the office because I'm supporting the Steelers this year. Because of course Cleveland hates Pittsburgh. I've never understood that
rivalry. We certainly don't have a problem using their Ikea. And what about regionalism, people? We should support the Midwest team no matter who it is. I'm not rooting for the state that houses Phoenix. Phoenix is a shithole of meth and gravel. Pittsburgh is just like Cleveland, only with tunnels under mountains, which arguably makes it better.

I wanted to pass along this recipe for Nigella's Clemetine Cake. This is one of those recipes that's perfect for making on your day off, when you're supposed to be cleaning your house, but instead you're drawing watercolor cartoons of robots while watching Soap Network.
The hook of this recipe, what makes it irresistible to someone like me, is the very first step....




Ingredients:

4-5 unpeeled Clementines
6 eggs
1 cup sugar (I used 1.5)
2 1/3 cups ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder

1. BOIL THE CLEMENTINES FOR TWO HOURS (oh and preheat at 375)

2. When done, drain and cool them, then halve to pick out the seeds. Finely chop by hand, or in my case, blend to puree in food processor. I think this relieves some of the bitterness of the skin. You don't want chunks of rind in your cake.

3.Beat the eggs. Those eggs killed your brother.

4. Do yourself a favor and buy the almonds whole, because it's cheaper. Grind them as fine as you can. Curse the California nut industry as you do for being so goddamn expensive.

5. Mix everything together.

6. Line a springform pan with parchment paper. A springform is one of those cake pans where the bottom comes loose, and the sides look like an embroidery frame? And you always lose the bottom. So give yourself about an HOUR to find it, even though your kitchen cabinets are not that big and goddamnit, where else could you have put it? Find it eventually buried under your big pile of plastic bags.

7. Bake for one hour, or until skewer comes out clean. Nigella suggests putting foil on top of it after about 40 minutes, to stop the top from burning. This is probably a good idea, but do not use a cookie sheet when you find yourself out of foil, because the top will stick to it, and then you'll have to make a batch of whipped cream to cover the gaping hole on top.

5 comments:

  1. Nigella's clementine cake sounds delish -- we have her book, Nigella Express, and have enjoyed everything we've made from it. However, we are not very experienced "bakers" so perhaps we should start giving her desserts a whirl*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you clear up any confusion about springform pans by referencing an embroidery frame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the rust belt solidarity thing going on too. When Cleveland doesn't make the playoffs in whatever sport, I always end up rooting for Detroit or Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy ending sentences and valedictions with asterisks -- they seem less abrupt than periods and less cutsy than a smily face.

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?