Saturday, January 24, 2009

If you want to have a good day today, follow the instructions at the end of this entry...



So a few years ago, my sister lived in Chapel Hill NC while her then boyfriend (now asshole) went to graduate school for library science, and if I recall correctly, she hated that town with the intensity of nutmeg. She talked about how all the people there were so yuppie and trendy, the way she described it brought to mind a giant mall filled with Urban Outfitters, Targets, and wood paneled sports bars. Everyone was dressed the same cool way and listened to the same cool music, and my poor little independently weird sister did not fit in. By the way, if you ever want to hate young people for their unoriginality, just browse through the Urban Outfitters accessories page on the website. I think I’ve mentioned that here before.

So, this brings me to the show last night at the Grog Shop; The Annuals, with Jessica Lee Mayfield and What Laura Says opening.

I’ll make the Chapel Hill connection in a moment, but let’s first cover the openers. What Laura Says was a pleasant enough band from Tempe. I didn’t pay much attention to them because I was too busy making friends with a girl from Akron and spilling my drinks all over the bar while making the bartender take pictures of the duct-taped teddy bear on the wall for me. Also, newest graffiti on the girl’s bathroom stall? Corey loves Tapanga. Moving on…

Jessica Lee Mayfield was a local girl with a hypnotically striped dress and some sort of Alabama accent. She was billed to me as sweet and sincere, which drives me away faster than the 20a bus. I have no room for sincerity in my life people. However, she did this magic trick where she opened her mouth and the entire room filled up with the song. There was so much volume and density to her music that it eclipsed the simplicity; both her, and her band, were impeccable and polished, nutritious and tasty. She was a vegan pear tart your friend makes for you that’s so good; you forget to miss the butter and cream. And yes, I equate rhythm and beats to butter and cream.

Finally, the Annuals. Who are from Chapel Hill, and match every description my sister gave me of that place. The individual members of this band obviously have a lot of talent, but their songs smack of emo and lack focus. I mean, imagine emo-twang with no chorus. Now throw some Coldplay in there. Maybe there was a chorus? Maybe I missed it? But I’m a girl who will pick the hook out of anything; I will make up hooks if I need to. And there were no good hooks here. It was as if they were trying to be every type of indie cool at once. I remarked to someone there about three songs in that it sounded to me like they had listened to too much MySpace music and been influenced by EVERYTHING they heard. Also, it was noticed by the group that the lead singer opened his mouth very, very wide, and I speculate he was actually trying to suck the musical soul out of the audience, or swallow a goat whole.

They weren’t terrible, they weren’t great, and they just weren’t anything specific. And I think if they could find their focus, they have the potential to be good. But I suspect, like MySpace, they’re just going to settle for popular.



It was a good night. I met a bunch of nice people, nice sweet “we talk to anyone and instantly welcome you” people. I did manage to get some of my vodkas actually in my mouth. And the ride home gave me another idea that I had been looking for, which means my whole Monday is going to be spent either a)giving myself hand cramps, or b)huddled at a library computer trying not to look like a crazy cat lady. I'm not explaining.

As a last thought: Listen to Rhianna’s Disturbia. Then listen to Blue by Eiffel 65. S. caught this the other day while I was forcing him to listen to Disturbia because Rhianna is my favorite robot ever.





It makes sense that if they were going to try and expand robot use beyond military campaigns, they would infiltrate them into mainstream celebrity pop. I mean, then there’s no worrying about them gaining weight, or marrying Kevin Federline, or passing out during an episode of American Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who wants to fuck the Editors?