Friday, January 30, 2009

Oh Friday Five

I had amazing dumplings and pears at Thai night last night. As soon as I get access to a computer I can download my pictures to (ie not a work computer), there will be recipes galore. However today I'm full of thoughtful thoughts, so here's a variation of the Friday Five...

Five of My Recent Thoughts About Relationships

1. When you meet someone, you should immediately compare them to your three best friends. If they are not as smart, funny, or whatever it is you like most about your friends (I guess some people probably would put clean, responsible, ect); if they do not surpass or at least very evenly match your friends in these areas, then don't waste your time. Grammar, obviously, is not something I use as a standard. But you must be at least as smart as Buddy, as wacky as Marty, and as nice as Tara. A large part of what you like about your friends is probably intangible. Like, when I think of my friends in my head, all their characteristics match as a set in my head, but I couldn't tell you everything about them that makes me like them. I just do. It's like they're all variants of the same color. So to sum up, you must make me think of some shade of blue green.

2. That color point is an interesting one for me, cause there's lots of things in my life I sense like colors. For instance, when I write something good, it's gold and jewel colored in my head when I read it. When I clean my house, it's purple and blue (my house is not purple or blue). When I have fun with friends, it's bright green.
I guess my relationship thought here would be that you have to be the type of person who knows what the hell I'm talking about, and your sig other should not look at you like you're weird or you took too much when you say things like that. Or when you say sig other. Though they should make merciless fun of you for that. If the person you're with is as smart as your friends, next they should be as smart as you. Smart is important. It's more important than a lot of other traits, with the exception of "not a serial killer". I don't know....maybe it's more important than that one too.

3. Sometimes, even when it's the other person's fault, it's your fault too. And sometimes the downward spiral is so bad that if you're going to emerge from it intact, fault has to cease to exist. This takes a really rare type of convergence, but if it happens, if both of you at the same time are able to stop blaming the other one, than you should probably try and work it out.

4. It's hard to tell when you should talk to your friends about their relationships. I know you're supposed to wait until they ask, but...but...but...shit.

5. For gods sakes, being alone is not such a bad thing. No really, it's not. Especially when you're supposed to be dedicated to your art. And really guys, there's like four of you out there who think that statement was about you, and I'm talking about myself AND you. Having some sort of art in your life that you really care about can compensate for a LOT. And art can be anything really. If you're awesome at gardening, that's art. If you can sell anybody anything, that's art. Also, I really can't relate to not having something like that in your life...why bother without it? Maybe this is why it's easier for other people to really care about money. Maybe it's a substitution for not having a passionate skill.

I mean, I know it's awesome having someone. I know. It's rare and precious and great. But so is having a talent at something. Point is, if you do end up alone, if this doesn't end up working out, you're still not alone because the stuff in your head never deserts you.

Ha! I said "my art". And then I made a seemingly derisive comment about money. I'm on a buggery roll tonight aren't I? I would probably benefit from caring about money a little bit more myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who wants to fuck the Editors?