Monday, March 9, 2009

Steak Sandwich


I don't like when people who eat steak are all like "it's holy steak, and if you put it in a sandwich you are a sub par human with a disgusting non-blood oriented palate." No one has said that to me yet. But I really hope someday they do. Because first I will punch them, then I will tie them to a table, and force feed them this sandwich.

There's nothing special about it. It's a hard roll, with filet mignon cut into strips and pan fried with salt and pepper. Then you melt some provolone on it. Oh, and first you put this spread on it. Which is my new favorite condiment of all time. It transfigures any sandwich it touches. I mean, it's just mustard and mayo and salt. But I may never use any of them separately again.

A really good steak sandwich reminds me of eating at this legendary hole in the wall place my mother took me to in Philadelphia. I can't stand it when you order a philly cheese steak and it comes with an anemic amount of cheese, and covered in peppers and onions. The original philly cheese steak in my life was a foot long roll that was crusty outside and soft inside, stuffed with chopped up greasy steak, and smothered in hot liquid provolone. The three basic food groups. I would insanely happy if I could find anyplace in Cleveland that comes even close.

Barefoot Contessa's Steak Sandwich Spread: 3/4 cup good mayo, 1 tbsp djon mustard, 1 tbsp whole grain mustard, 1/8 tsp salt

Concentration.

1 comment:

  1. The thing about steak sandwiches is that you usually get one made with some low grade cut that's chewy and has a big hunk of fat in it. It's not the fact that it's a sandwich that ruins it; it's the steak. And occasionally there is the odd good steak sandwich that you get someplace, but it's a rare find. Now yours with the filet mignon in it, on the other hand, that's got promise.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?