Saturday, December 20, 2008

Support your local musicians...or they will burn your house down

Yesterday morning I looked outside my bathroom window, and saw my driveway completely covered in a thick viscous slush, while the freezing rain poured down and collected in little ponds amongst the ice, and I thought to myself "well, this will be fun to drive in."

Oh, and it was.

But the promised sheet of ice covering NE Ohio like the next Destruction of Man never appeared, and I made it to work fine. I would describe my driving style that morning as "turtle on laxative". I even ventured out afterwards, to meet up with Cleveland Bachelor in Collinwood and check out the Music Saves Christmas Show, picking my way through the frozen ice ridged footprints and not slipping even once! Despite my famous lack of balance and coordination! It was a fucking holiday miracle.

The show started with the Real Dogs, from Akron, who were pleasantly punkie and fun. Which is exactly how I feel everytime I go slumming around Akron, so it fit. They were very Akron.

Next was New Body Type, and they were my favorites that night. Despite the lead singer's white belt and pageboy haircut, he had a great voice for the poppy Decemberist-like songs. Then he let the other guy sing, and that guy just belted it out with the uncanny tone of Jim Morrison. You couldn't tell by looking at him certainly, but the man has darkness in his soul. Their lyrics were intelligent and cute, and they sang a song about some bloke named Nigel, and all in all it was exactly the stuff this girl falls for. So I felt appropriately guilty for my snarky white belt condemnation.

Good Touch Bad Touch were next. They had me, until they lost me with all the distortion. And finally National Suicide Day, Lawrence's new band. As CB predicted, they built us up with this prozac happy shit and then smacked us down like a dog with a newspaper to the nose. I didn't get to stay for the whole set, cause I had to go home and sleep a little bit anyway. But very classic rock wailing blues crying for your woman and the salvation of mankind sort of thing.

So there you go, great show for five dollars. I made it home safely, albeit obnoxiously. If you had been in the car with me, you would have been treated to a great offtune version of Let It Be about 6 times on repeat. But luckily you were not.

2 comments:

  1. I wish they sold Local Musicians at Wal-Mart -- I'm done with this ridiculous "shop local" nonsense!

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. A local emo kid is just so expensive these days, let alone one who plays the bass. Plus they spoil so fast!

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?