Sunday, August 3, 2008

So Friday night I went over Jay's, to see the emptied apartment (the tv is WHERE now?). We fried tofu and made spring rolls. Jay's spring rolls were much prettier than mine. Jay is one of those people that are good to have long conversations with at least every two months. It's like getting a mental massage, you just feel much more self-assured after talking to them. It runs little diagnostics on your brain, defragments the neurons. I run home all inspired by the storm, but forced to bed.

Then work on Saturday, and afterwards Audrey asked me to come and have a drink, so we sit in Fox and Hound debriefing our current department. Audrey and I have gone through three positions now with each other at this company, we're playing Follow the Leader. So work gossip for an hour, then off to Marty and Rebecca's. Todd is there, and also Laura and Brian and their son Van. Van is five and runs off with the neighbor kids for the night, playing in and out of the woods while the grownups sit on the deck discussing sturgeon plastic surgery and local politics. Marty makes his best ribs ever. Later we play basketball, and yes it is fairly suburbia idyllic, adults in the driveway with drinks and kids running back and forth shrieking. Then there's a moment of parent-child magic, when Laura just starts reciting Where The Wild Things Are, and not only Van is enrapt at his mother's performance, but also all the other drunk people in the room. Laura scares the shit out of me by telling me there's a Daddy Long Legs (the monster of the deck) behind me on the wall, and I spill kahlua all over the white carpet. The child successfully negotiates the giant telescope into the driveway, and we all take turns looking for planets. Rebecca finds one. I find that I can't look through a telescope because I can't manage to keep my eyelashes out of the picture, which makes me frustrated so I drink more. The night ends with showing Todd the first episode of Firefly, and me falling asleep against my wishes, I don't want to go to sleep these days. I want to do other things.

Now this morning......Holy latte full of grace, the Buzz is with you. Blessed are you amongst beverages, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Espresso. Holy latte, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our waking. Starbucks.

1 comment:

  1. I like this coffee prayer a lot.I want a needlepoint of it.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?