Sunday, July 20, 2008

The longer the ratio, the higher my interest

1. It's a sad thing when I see a bug crawling on the ceiling, and I am relieved when it starts flying around, because it means it's not a cockroach. It's also a symptom of the guilt I feel for not doing my dishes yet. I feel I deserve cockroaches.

2. There's been a conversation happening over at M.'s journal about sexism and cliched writing and let's face it, I got off topic a little while ago on that, but I spent a good portion of the day after work drinking, so maybe I'm being a bit antagonistic. The final thing I pointed out was that I liked caricatures, and I specifically liked Buffy because the characters were in fact stereotypes that the writers just fucked with in their broad plot lines, cliched ideas made new by quirky little twists, like making your barbies fight transformers. It's hard to write a character that is all essence, but comic.
Then I went over to Wiki and read their (very biased and weirdly structured) article on caricatures.

a) "Ramachandran and Hirstein suggested that caricature is related to peak shift. In the peak shift effect, animals sometimes respond more strongly to exaggerated versions of the training stimuli. For example, if a rat is trained to respond to a rectangle of a particular aspect ratio, and to avoid a square, when later presented with several rectangles it will prefer the one with the most elongated aspect ratio (this being the one that is most different from the square) rather than the original rectangle used in training."

b)"Jan Op De Beeck has published several books on caricature and was named "World's Best Caricaturist" in 2003 by a group of professional cartoonists in Iran." What? Iran?

c) Honore Daumier is a great name, and probably what I will name my next sacrificial male character sketch :P


I'm covered in rain water, full of various coffee flavored things, and tomorrow I go to see the Vatican treasures exhibit with my mommy, so I'm gonna guess I'll have even more to say about sexism and caricatures when I get back. But let's all give it up for the fact that I have typed out the word "caricature" like, twenty million times tonight. Go me. If you say it enough times, it creates its own definitions...

Caricature: a type of painful sexual position
Caricature: a new line of clothing from some Hills star
Caricature: a Belle & Sebastian cover band
Caricature: the lining of a mother cats womb
Caricature: a type of Chinese puppet show
Caricature: The sound made when your bra's air padding pops
Caricature: The sound made when Tim Gunn pops
Caricature: a thistle found only in north-western canada
Caricature: a brand of school notebook, with little lines
Caricature: box white wine mixed with club soda
Caricature: The Lives of The Saints

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who wants to fuck the Editors?