Saturday, September 12, 2009

Avocado Honeydew Milkshake

Prequel: Yes, I know, like 30 of you have stumbled across this site looking for that milkshake he made on Iron Chef. I'm sorry. All because I mentioned the damn thing in a post about other avocado delights. I know you, like me, just wanted some guidance. You kinda know how to maybe do it, but you want to know if there's any special trick or proportion or secret magical Iron Chef ingredient. It looked so impossibly good at the judges table, right?

What's even worse is that I am planning on making one tonight, and when I tried to google recipes, my own damn site kept coming up. That's ironic and unpleasant.


I've been all about avocados recently, thanks to an Iron Chef, Smitten Kitchen, and the fact that Marty and Rebecca have a countertop that spontaneously creates bags of avocados. It's a special kind of granite. So I've wanted to make this damn milkshake for like a week. But I had no idea really how to.

So the first attempt was 1 avocado, 1 half a honeydew, and about a cup of vanilla soy milk. Add some ice. Blend.



It was not good.

It was actively bland, like, a combination of flavors determined to suck out any flavor you might have had on your tongue in the past or the future.

So we added some cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and some more soy milk. Which made it palatable. The cinnamon and nutmeg were perfect, it made it like an eggnog. But neither the honeydew or the avocado sang at all, or even hummed. It was green watery mud. Rebecca covered it with whipped cream, which was awfully pretty, but everyone just ate the whipped cream and stopped. I mean, I liked it well enough. I drank two glasses. Marty drank his. Allison pecked at hers. Rebecca full on stopped.



So here's what we're going to do next.

-2 avocado
-2 cup honeydew
-1 cup vanilla ice cream
-1 banana
- cinnamon
-nutmeg

I mean, that will serve like 6 people. But I think the proportions will be better. The soy milk really didn't contribute anything and I hate adding ice because then it just becomes water. Ice cream is definitely key.

I'll let you know. I mean, my motivation is a little low right now.

7 comments:

  1. I think banana will help. How about honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried a healthy dollop but it couldn't stand up to the void of the avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon your site looking for the recipe yesterday. I made it today, my way, it came out pretty good. This is what I used:

    Half an avocado,honeydew pieces (more honeydew to avocado ratio), fat free milk, crushed ice. THATS IT.

    I put it all in The Magic Bullet (heh), and it came out really good/refreshing/that same light bright cool green color like an Iron Chef. It wasn't sweet because the melon wasn't ripe enough, BUT other than that it was PERFECT. If I HAD to use something else to sweeten it, I'd use just honey, nothing else. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So really maybe just the soy milk was the mistake. I can see that. It's got a bland flavor all its own.

    I'll have to try it again the simple way. I will say my melon wasn't sweet enough either.

    It is pretty though, isn't?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! The color was one of the primary attractions to it, and that fact that it looked so fresh tasting (especially in that cool looking glass). I was iffy because, you know, it has avocado in it. But the judges seemed to enjoy it a bunch so I thought I'd give it a try. I heard agave nectar would make a good sweetner, too. By the way, I know its your preference, but wouldn't cinnamon and nutmeg make it ... weird?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't really though. We liked it much better with.

    I was thinking mint might be good too, cause of the melon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.cookiemag.com/food/2009/10/honeydew-avocado-smoothie

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?