Friday, December 21, 2007

So yet another reason why work is unhealthy for me, besides the confinement to cubicle, constant smiling, and overabundance of electric light....

I had a dream last night where I was in high school, and I was running late to school, but in fact I was running late to work.

There was more to it than that, but that was the really disturbing part. School was a place where I only did well when in direct competition with other people. Where I was definitely a teachers pet. And where I failed to connect to all but a few of my peers due to a sense of inflated superiority, but most people liked me outwardly because of deftness at shallow meaningless bullshit. I say outwardly, because I was probably not giving them enough credit, and chances are a few of them recognized it and thought I was a condescending bitch.

And all of this is true again now at work.

But Bridget, you might say, you don't need to "connect" with your co-workers, and having the managers like you is a good thing, and competition is what corporate America is all about.

Be that as it may, those are not my best qualities, and I don't want to be in high school for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who wants to fuck the Editors?