Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I guess the sign of getting old in my family is that you obsessively listen to public radio in the mornings in your car.

The problem with this is that Sound of Ideas is usually a really depressing way to start my morning commute into the blue and white glass halls of corporatedom/Mayfield village.

Sometimes its things like the nanotech program a few days ago that was awesome.
But lately its been all this Mt. Pleasant stuff, and then pregnant teenage moms this morning.

It's all very INTERESTING, don't get me wrong, and at this point listening to anything else on the radio feels incredibly juvenile and offensive. I mean, if you have the same routine as me, then one day switch to Rover's Morning Glory, and see how revolted you are in the first three minutes.

But I also feel like the NPR voices actually have a sophomoric effect on me.(I actually meant to write soporific, but that one works as well) I'm waking up...but somehow I'm also easily falling into a weird work morning coma. I'm more informed, but I'm less alert.

All of this is easily offset by the pleasure of getting in my car on the weekend and hearing Michael Feldman. Or CarTalk. Or Lake Wobegon. Which instantly makes me miss my cat Biscuits and crave tacos at the same time.

I actually think I'm more settled into work when I get there because of NPR. More settled, less frenetic, the day slips by faster, the days all seem the same.

I'm not sure I like it this way, and I'm pretty sure I need to make some more CDs for my car. Because NPR may actually be sucking the cheer out of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who wants to fuck the Editors?