Wednesday, March 5, 2008

News from the Ice World

Yes. Everything is covered in ice. The stairs. The cars. The hearts of Obama supporters everywhere.

Two funny things have happened. One is funny awful. The other is funny haha. See if you can tell the difference.

1. My friend discovered that the house she lives in was actually foreclosed on last March, and it's going to auction Monday. As a renter this might not be a big deal if she hadn't been paying a lot of rent money to this guy who didn't own the house for the past year. And if she knew where she was going to be living in a month.

2. A very very large tree branch, like the kind that is the size of a small tree, fell on our house. It was encrusted in two inches of ice. I was home when it fell, and it is a hell of a sound to hear one of those things ripping and falling. Outside your bedroom window.
-------------------------------

Begin post again, 3/7/08

3. It took me three hours to drive home today in the snow, and the whole way I had to listen to the NPR pledge drive. If I hear "bamboo" umbrella once more time, I'm going to start burning plastic in my front yard.

One thing I really like about this democratic primary is that it gives me a chance to talk about something I really like (politics) with people I don't really hate (other democrats). For the past eight years the conversations have either been "Wow Bush sucks and our country sucks" or "Wow Bush sucks and YOU suck". Contrary to popular opinion, democrats don't constantly need their dicks sucked. Sometimes we like to be disagreed with, just not by religious fascists with Aspbergers. So its nice to have a real argument with people who are not morally deficient, they just like another candidate better.

However, since I'm not cause-driven but fiction driven, my debating skills have gone rusty, and I really need to get some practice in before it's the general election and we all go back to hating the Others. Too bad everyone I know is burned out on this primary thing already. And lets face it, ANOTHER Florida thing is just overkill. It's like the point in David Copperfield where they all confront Uriah Heep, and you're like "yeah we already know everything he did, just get it over with already", cause he had his true moment of villainy when he talked about marrying Agnes. Florida's true moment of villainy is past, and we should really just get over it already.

By "over it", I am implying we put Florida down, NCFOM* style.

And Michigan too, for conspiracy. And having too many lakes.

I voted for Obama, but really, I'm quite happy to see Hillary do well. I was torn between them anyway. I do agree with Sean's point, that's he's disappointed the party didn't just get behind one person and stick there, this year of all years. And I think the Obama votes are going to trickle away, because the new voters don't have the same feeling of enmity and betrayal those of us who voted in the 2000 elections do. They are there out of "hope", and Hillary's supporters are there out of "rage". It's just a matter of waiting to see which is the more powerful force. Though with March 4th dead and gone, so goes my brief idealistic fervor, and I'm back to my wonderful cynical self. Kick their stupid red tie wearing asses Hillary.

As a last note, my cat has a propensity for chewing on electrical wires, particularly up close the outlet. Also I just saw a rerun of America's Next Top Model where some girl named Elise told Tyra that being a supermodel didn't have to do with much besides physical beauty, and physical beauty was based on the amount of estrogen you got as a baby, that formed the big eyes/small chin look. It was awesome.

And then Kimora Lee Simmons, who is seriously an ogre**, was all like "are you telling me I should give that to my baby?", with that ghetto "oh no you didn't white bitch" inflection in her voice, and I came back down to earth.










*No Country For Old Men

** Seriously. Look.

6 comments:

  1. Kimora is half-asian and half-african-american. she can't help the way she looks. and all the work she put into being a successful model deprived her of time to read up on science. Don't be hatin', player!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, she can certainly help the way she interacts with people. If I have ever seen her be anything but judgmental and confrontational, I can't remember it. When someone puts themselves out on multiple shows, banking on her personality and good looks to make her money, I feel completely free to judge her back. And I've found her lacking. In an "kidnapping and eating small children" sort of way.

    Also, I don't think its fair to say that being half-asian and half-african american makes you look like her. There are lots of other people out there with her background who don't look like ogres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. that is good advice. I've only seen her once, on 8 minutes of Oprah. They talked about how successful and inspirational she was to women, black women, and girls in general. i guess everyone comes off better on Oprah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oprah has special powers that make people look nicer, more respectable, better lovers. Supposedly she also does the same things for books no one has ever read... like Ulysses. She lends value to valueless things :) Our country would be illiterate, ugly, and atheist without Oprah.

    I dread the day that Oprah dies. There will be no place to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oprah's powers may be waning. I used to enjoy Rachel Ray's 40 dollars a day show on foodnetwork. Then I tried watching her talk show. It was very hard to watch. I don't watch it at all now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So are you implying the death of the mid-day talk show?

    It's an interesting idea. I remember when Ricki Lake and Jenny Jones were all the rage. Did Oprah and The View convince women they should not be watching unclean things? Is this because of the rise of the Christian Right? Or Did we all just get very bored?

    Though there is still Tyra. And Martha Stewart. Maybe the only thing that changed is I got a job.

    ReplyDelete

Who wants to fuck the Editors?