Sunday, May 24, 2009

All Hail These Young Gods

The whole weekend was a bit of a wicked blur to me. Saturday night was Marty and Rebecca's house, where Marty cooked us Brontosaurus Burgers. Later, after being beaten into a food coma, I watched some UFC at the neighbors and then this horribly horrible S. Darko movie. Sunday I read. All day. And drank. It was pretty awesome. On Monday, S. took me to the new Star Trek movie which was not horrible horrible, and later I went breaking and entering with J. More on that later, once the pictographs upload.

I know, it's a lot. Where did I possibly store all the energy to do all this crazy active stuff? The driving and the eating and the driving and the more eating, it can all wear you down pretty quick. Well, I went the cheap way, and got sugar high.

I was unaware of the existence of Ambrosia (or 5 Cup Salad) until I worked at my present job. Northern girls don't eat this shit. Then the old ladies would bring it in for potlucks and I became addicted... in a slutty evil way. I hated myself for liking it, because it was SO sweet. But it was like ice cream! Only it didn't melt when sitting on a cubicle desk all day! The perfect food. Which I find myself saying about a lot of Southern foods that have no business being anywhere near an artery.

Well, I like this version a lot better. It's still very sweet, but not AS sweet. It really tastes like a fruit salad. I recommend adding a lot more stuff than Alton does. Like, the whole jar of cherries. Also grapes. And more nuts. It's still very much dessert. But at least you won't feel like you consumed a whole container of cool whip.



Alton's Ambrosia Salad

Ingredients:
4 oz sour cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup grated coconut
1 cup maraschino cherries
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 cup clementine segments (I used canned mandarin oranges)
6 oz mini marshmallows
1 cup crushed pecans
(I added 1/2 cup seedless red grapes)

Using a mixer, combine the sour cream and heavy cream and sugar. Whip until it starts to form peaks. Then combine all the rest of the stuff and mix. Refrigerate for two hours before eating. Set aside at least one bowl to eat tomorrow morning when you regret inviting all those people over before. Hide it in the back of the fridge.



Because, you know, it's a recession, Rebecca and I were very prudent, and used every part of the salad by making ourselves drinks.

Split the pineapple juice in the can between two glass.
Do the same with the mandarin orange juice syrup, and the cherry juice.
Take pictures because it's pretty.



Then add liberal amounts of rum, ice, and some sparking strawberry white tea.
Be VERY VERY proud of yourself for how fucking good your drink is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who wants to fuck the Editors?